The performance of Extension faculty will be evaluated annually by a review team including the direct supervisor and associate chair. This faculty review process aims to complement any other evaluation of performance undertaken. University guideance can be found in the Faculty Annual Review and Reappointment policy.
The results of the review will be summarized in a letter prepared by the associate chair. The letter will reflect major accomplishments in teaching, scholarship and service, and include areas for growth and development that can be supported through coaching, professional development, and other resources from the department.
Documentation/evidence provided by the faculty member to inform the annual review includes:
- One peer evaluation of teaching letter received during the review period.
- Three teaching events evaluated with the EEET form during the review period. A three-year summary data report should be generated by the faculty member at https://lod.cfaes.ohio-state.edu/EEETreports.
- Annual performance report generated from VITA for the calendar review year that includes at least two performance goals and two professional development goals for the upcoming year.
- OAA dossier-formatted dossier (outline found at https://oaa.osu.edu/policies-and-procedures-handbook) for the calendar year – can be generated from VITA (as dossier report) or in Word following the OAA outline.
NOTE: An updated CV/dossier should be posted at your county/unit faculty webpage annually. All current faculty webpage links can be accessed at: List of OSU Extension Faculty.
Annual Review Process Due Dates
- January 15: Each faculty member submits annual review documents identified above (submission process will vary per your immediate supervisor).
- January 15 - March 15: Supervisors of faculty assess performance (e.g. did not meet, met, often met, consistently met) in teaching, scholarship, service, AND overall performance. Forward the four assessments and rationale as needed via email to the associate chair prior to meeting with the associate chair (#3 below).
- February 1 – April 1: Supervisors of faculty meet with associate chair to discuss assessment of performance prior to their meetings with their faculty.
- April 1: The associate chair generates a formal annual review letter that summarizes faculty performance. This letter can be signed during the annual review meeting or at a later date (via DocuSign, etc.).
- May 1: Supervisors of faculty coordinate their faculty signatures on the final letters (#4 above) and forward as a pdf to Terri Fisher (email@example.com) in the associate chair office. Terri will forward the final copies to HR, cc’ing program leaders and supervisors. This letter will be placed in the faculty file and become part of the faculty member’s dossier package when applying for promotion.
NOTE: The associate chair will meet with all probationary faculty annually as described in the Department of Extension Appointments, Promotion, and Tenure (APT) document. This meeting with the associate chair does not replace the performance review meeting with the direct supervisor. More information on faculty annual review is described in the APT document.
Reviewed and Revised: 2.12.19