Ohio State University Extension Volunteer Selection Policy and Procedures
Effective: May 1, 2007
Adults who desire to volunteer their time, energy and talents to Ohio State University Extension with the potential to serve members of a vulnerable population (minors, elderly, and/or disabled) must complete a volunteer selection process.
Long-Term or High Responsibility Volunteer Assignment
Adults serving members of a vulnerable population (minors, elderly, and/or disabled) in an unsupervised capacity with potential for ongoing/sustained contact with clientele and/or includes opportunities for financial, overnight, and transportation responsibilities will:
- Receive, at the time of application or change of position, a written volunteer position description outlining the responsibilities.
- Complete a volunteer application, in its entirety, and submit to the appropriate OSU Extension office.
- At minimum, have two references returned that are non-relatives, either in writing, over the telephone, or face-to-face.
- Complete an interview with the appropriate OSU Extension representative.
- Submit to a criminal history fingerprint background check.
- Read, agree to, and sign the OSU Extension Volunteer Standards of Behavior Form.
- Participate in a new volunteer orientation/training program.
Short-Term Volunteer Assignment
Adults serving a short-term assignment for a consecutive series of days, or several nonconsecutive days for a period of one (1) week or less in which they will be under the direct supervision of a paid staff member (or approved volunteer key leader), not having the potential for financial, overnight, and transportation responsibilities and no sustained/on-going contact with clientele will complete the following selection procedures:
- Receive a volunteer role description;
- Complete and submit volunteer information form;
- Read, agree to, and sign the OSU Extension Volunteer Standards of Behavior Form;
- Receive role/responsibility orientation; and
- Complete an Ohio Electronic Sex Offender Registration and Notification (eSorn) and National Sex Offender Public Registry web check (not fingerprint) based upon name, county, city, state, zip code, and school.
Ohio Attorney General http://www.ohioattorneygeneral.gov/
Ohio AGO’s Ohio Offender Watch http://www.communitynotification.com/counties.php?state=oh
Ohio AGO-s Ohio Offender Watch, a different page http://www.icrimewatch.net/search2.php?AgencyID=55149
Ohio Department of Rehabilitation and Corrections Offender Search http://www.drc.state.oh.us/OffenderSearch/Search.aspx
National Sex Offender Public Registry http://www.nsopr.gov/
Partnerships & Exceptions
- When entering into partnerships/collaborations, OSU Extension professionals shall work cooperatively with those entities to establish volunteer selection procedures that meet minimum requirements of all organizations.
- In partnerships where volunteers are representing OSU Extension programs, the volunteers must meet minimum OSU Extension selection requirements.
- In limited situations, Extension professionals may need to implement alternative selection strategies that are not identified in OSU Extension policy. In those cases, Extension professionals shall work with the Associate Director, Operations and the appropriate program area representative.
- The following are not required to complete a selection process: one-time guest speakers; one-time group facilitators; judges for pre-fair judging; county and state fair judges; field day host; parents (providing they are not providing leadership to children other than their own); and other similar positions.
Approved by OSU Extension Administrative Cabinet – October 12, 2006, updated – March 2013