CFAES Give Today
OSU Extension

College of Food, Agricultural, and Environmental Sciences


Transportation Policy – Use of State Vehicles

1. Vehicles are for official Extension business only.

a. Exceptions to this must be approved in writing ahead of time by the vice president of the Office of Business and Finance. A justification and personal vehicle use form must be submitted to the CFAES Finance Office for processing. See travel forms at

b. For those with exceptions, all mileage must be tracked on a log and a State Mileage Certificate Form must be filed yearly with university Human Resources.

2. Only Ohio State faculty, staff, and selected student employees are permitted to drive Extension vehicles. All drivers must be registered prior to driving vehicles. The driver registration form can be found via the CFAES Finance Office website forms page -- A new form is required every time you get a new driver’s license.

3. Drivers will comply with all state and local traffic laws.

4. Only Ohio State faculty, staff and students shall ride in the Extension vehicles. All non-Ohio State passengers require authorization (email or typed confirmation) from the appropriate unit leader (director, associate director, regional director) whose unit controls use of the vehicle. When transporting minors, a "Waiver and Permission to Transport Child/Charge" form must be completed for each minor passenger. Appropriate documentation is available via the state 4-H office club management resources page.

5. The university provides liability and property damage insurance for its authorized drivers and vehicles. The university covers NO medical expenses of the university employees or passengers. Coverage shall be provided only by applicable Bureau of Workers’ Compensation, university staff medical or personal insurance. There is a $10,000 deductible per accident payable by the unit responsible for the vehicles. When a university vehicle has damage to, or is involved in an accident, an accident report must be filed.

6. Various departments provide vehicles for rental including OARDC and university Transportation and Parking. See those department’s rules on rentals.


Administrative Cabinet approved – September 2004
Reviewed by Cindy Buxton
– 2013
Unit titles, links updated
 April 2017