Full-time tenure-track, teaching, or associated faculty may request emeritus status upon retirement or resignation at the age of sixty or older with ten or more years of service or at any age with twenty-five or more years of service. Requests should be made to the department chair, ideally at least 90 days before the retirement date to ensure time for Board of Trustees review.
Please include the following items with your request:
- A letter of resignation addressed to the department chair stating the retirement effective date and requesting emeriti status, cc’ing the supervisor and the Extension Human Resources (HR) unit.
Note: If original resignation letter to the supervisor/Extension director does not include the emeritus request, the faculty member can write an additional separate letter to the chair (e.g. “I am retiring effective this date and requesting emeritus status consideration.”)
- The information necessary for Form 207, Request for Emeritus Status, found at https://oaa.osu.edu/sites/default/files/links_files/Form207.pdf. Please call the office at 614-292-3860 with personal information (e.g. DOB).
- A brief statement of major accomplishments and successes as a faculty member (two to three brief paragraphs, no more than half a page outlining teaching, scholarship, and service highlights). This will be inserted in Form 207.
Various offices within the university offer perquisites to emeritus faculty. A current list of “perks” can be found within the OAA Handbook (126.96.36.199 Emeritus Faculty).
Emeritus Faculty Review Process/Timeline
Faculty emeriti requests require recommendation by the department chair and college dean to the university, and Ohio State University Board of Trustees (BOT) final approval.
- The faculty member submits request documentation to the department chair at least 90 days prior to the selected retirement date.
- The department chair reviews the request, completes Form 207 if recommending approval, and forwards the documentation to the college office for review and approval.
- College office forwards the approved documentation to the Office of the Vice Provost (OVP).
- The OVP approves the request and forwards the documentation to the BOT.
- Emeriti requests are placed on the BOT meeting agenda for approval. Meetings are held approximately six times per year. For a schedule of meetings, refer to the following website: https://trustees.osu.edu/.
- Note: The request for emeritus status must be received by the BOT prior to the date of retirement (and approximately one month before the next BOT meeting date), or the emeriti effective date may not immediately follow the faculty retirement date.
- The OVP submits BOT approval to the college and notifies the faculty member of emeriti status via a letter sent to the faculty member’s post-retirement address.
- After BOT approval, final retirement paperwork in entered in the HR system.
OSU Board of Trustees
OSU Extension Pattern of Administration
Updated October 2021