Smith-Lever Act (May 8, 1914)
An act signed (by President Woodrow Wilson) ... "to aid in diffusing among the people of the United States useful and practical information on subjects relating to agriculture, uses of solar energy with respect to agriculture, home economics, and rural energy, and to encourage the application of the same..."
-Rep. Asbury F. Lever, South Carolina
-Sen. Michael Hoke Smith, Georgia
"100 years ago, we transformed society through the creation of cooperative Extension."
Bruce A. McPheron, vice president for agricultural administration and dean, College of Food, Agricultural, and Environmental Sciences [OSU Extension Annual Conference -- December 4, 2013]
The 100-year signing anniversary of the Smith-Lever Act, which officially created the national Cooperative Extension System, will take place in 2014. Celebrations this year will highlight our past and focus on the current application of Cooperative Extension's mission and vision as we move into our next century.
Several key state-level activities will take place during the year. Each county is encouraged to think about event you can have at the local level. You can involve your advisory committee, volunteers and others. Stay in touch with what other counties are doing on our County Centennial Celebrations page.
OSUE2U: Extension Centennial Video Contest Results – National Winners Announced
Ohio’s Centennial video contest winners also recently received second place at the National 4-H Film Festival in the category of “Voices of 4-H History.” As part of the Ohio video contest – which asked folks to show/tell what Extension means to them, Extension supported a trip for the state winners to the National 4-H Film Festival this summer.
Eric Glaze and Ben Sanders of the Pathfinders 4-H Club in Warren County submitted their film A Centennial of Extension with Dr. D. Howard Doster as part of the national festival which was held in early August in St. Louis. Eric and Ben received a certificate and GoPro camera for their efforts.
Now in its fourth year, the national festival involved 60 4-H members from nine states, and 32 films were selected for screening. Youth participated in sessions with a casting director, sound and lighting production and stuntman. They also took a field trip to Coolfire Studios, a production facility that handles animation, commercials and original music.
You can check out Eric and Ben’s 5-minute video at www.go.osu.edu/HowardDoster-osuExtension.
- March 12 – CFAES legislative luncheon
- May 1 – Patterson Lecture -- 2nd annual Outreach & Engagement Forum
- July 23-Aug 3 – Ohio State Fair activities
- Sept 16-18 – Farm Science Review activities
- Sept 20 – Celebration of Youth (sponsored by Ohio 4-H Foundation)
- Oct 18 – CFAES FallFest Homecoming Tailgate
- Oct 18 – Ohio State marching band half-time show (Ohio State Homecoming)
See Extension's promo video. See photos.
- Nov 15 – "Extension Reconsidered" (an Ohio conversation)
- December 9, 10, 11 – annual Extension Conference/Extension Colloquium: A research-rooted discussion that supports the movement of Extension into its second century. Includes one day for Vice President's Conversation on the Future of OSU Extension.
Ohio Centennial Logos
A logo has been created for your county use with Centennial celebration materials. One is the Ohio logo only, and the other is the Ohio logo with the national tagline and website URL.